Last night Apple released the new QuickTime 6. You can download it, for Mac )s 8/9, Mac OS X, and Windows Me/2000/XP here:
You can also download a self-contained installer here, that doesn’t require an internet connection to install.
QuickTime 6 delivers a host of new features that include:
- MPEG-4 ISO compliant file creation
- MPEG-4 video codec
- AACaudio codec
- Instant-On streaming
- Macromedia Flash 5
- An enhanced QuickTime Player interface
- QuickTime Picks, bringing you the best, up-to-date QuickTime content
- JPEG 2000 (Mac OS X Only)
- Enhanced AppleScript support (Macintosh Only)
What’s really cool about QT 6 is the support for MPEG-4, and the quite reasonable licensing agreement for broadcast use that Apple worked out with the licensing group. QT 6 Pro, which, among other things, lets you edit and make QT files, is 29.95 for a license key, and you will need a new one for QT 6.